How to use natural stone copings and steps as a complement to Porcea Stone outdoor porcelain pavers?
May 23, 2021
One of the first raw materials ever used in construction was natural stone. There are numerous reasons why it became an essential building material many centuries ago. Those reasons remain true today. That’s why STONEarch natural stones are always on top of the list for the best landscaping stones recommended by architects, designers, custom home builders, and landscape contractors.
Our stone products are extremely popular. Part of that is due to the fact that as a landscape material, you can use our stones in a myriad of applications. These include building facades, sidewalks, and other commercial projects, as well as residential projects like pathways, pool copings, and driveways.
When it comes to designing a project with natural stone copings and steps, we recommend combining it with Porcea Stone’s Elite Collection of outdoor porcelain pavers as an inlay. Doing so will take your projects to a whole new level of beauty and uniqueness.
Should you mix natural stone copings and steps with outdoor porcelain tiles?
When it comes to designing a project, there is no doubt that we’re all about variety. Two of the most important factors that designers need to work with are the design and materials. There are a lot of various ways to mix and match pavers. You can make a vast combination of options in shapes, colours, and finishes.
Both natural stone and porcelain pavers are extremely durable. Aside from this, here are the reasons why you should use natural stone for copings and steps with outdoor porcelain pavers as inlay for the main decking area of a project.
Natural Stones As Copings And Steps Material
STONEarch natural stones get even more beautiful with age
There is no doubt that stones look better as they age. The material can maintain its natural elegance along with having a very long lifespan. While some stones can achieve their entire beauty with little age, some will look striking as the day they were installed even after one hundred years.
The impact of natural stones on the environment is minimal relative to concrete
Our products present numerous green characteristics that only a few products on the market today can match. Manufacturing the stones does not require energy. It is only needed for quarrying and processing. Likewise, the blasting and mining methods have improved massively over the years. What’s more, the landscape material does contain any pollutants, does not release any chemicals, and does not require any substance when applied in construction.
Natural stone copings and steps are aesthetically pleasing
No other material can match the aesthetic appeal that natural stones carry. Although some materials may be easier to install, natural stone copings are hard and long-lasting. Moreover, you can find stones like STONEarch granite available in a wide variety of textures and colors, including STONEarch Black Berry, STONEarch Gray, and STONEarch Mahogany. Every piece is unique on its own. Hence, you’ll be able to create different patterns for copings and steps with ease.
Natural stone is unique in that it can be shaped to various lengths and thicknesses as desired for a specific project. Unlike outdoor porcelain copings that are more limited in sizes and application methods, STONEarch natural stone products can be customized to fit the exact requires as per the desired landscape design.
The materials you want to use should be worthy of your investment. In comparison to wood steps, natural stone will not chip or get scratches and will not change its appearance due to everyday wear and tear. Along with this, one significant benefit of our stone products is that they are extremely resistant to frost damage and decay. They are one of those hardscaping materials that can truly stand the test of time.
Not all of us have all the time in the world to constantly maintain different areas of our homes. But taking care of your natural stone steps or copings is the last thing you have to worry about. All you need to do to maintain its beautiful look is to wash it occasionally with your good old garden hose. Our premium products do not require routine painting, staining, or many do not need to be sealed either. Regardless, if your stone does develop some minor stains, usually they can be easily removed using special cleaners designed for natural landscaping stones.
Stone is safer than most materials for coping or step application. The reason for that is because its surface is naturally a little porous, providing your feet with excellent grip. That means it is slip-resistant and safe for the entire family and your four-legged friends to walk on. And although natural stone copings are dense, they have round edges that make them less sharp, enhancing safety. The 2”, 6” or 7”, edge profile is also much more desirable as it is a solid piece of stone that cannot be easily chipped or damaged from the side.
In comparison to its peers, natural stone copings and steps are more economical than the counterparts – outdoor porcelain copings. Our products are extremely hard-wearing and tough. Therefore, they can provide you with great value for money. On top of that, they are stain-resistant and suitable for all pool shapes and types, from bullnose and rounded to square-edged and even curved.
Outdoor Porcelain Pavers As Inlay
Here are the benefits of using Porcea Stone outdoor porcelain pavers as an inlay:
1. They are chameleons and have the ability to mimic natural stone materials, making them an excellent choice for a pool deck, front walkway or a driveway. For instance, the dark granite look of Porcea Gris, along with its natural white striations replicate the appearance of an exotic natural stone. On the other hand, Porcea Coast, a light cream outdoor porcelain tile, is a perfect match for STONEarch Moderno Beige.
2. Porcea Stone modern porcelain tiles will not fade even when exposed to sunlight. They will maintain their beautiful color longer than other landscaping materials.
3. Outdoor porcelain tiles by Porcea Stone are also tough, can withstand scratches, and have low water absorption. Likewise, they can stand up against splashed water, heavy foot traffic, and just like natural stones, they will last for many years.
4. Depending on your taste, this type of pavers can be elegant or rustic. Plus, its appearance is far more upscale when compared with concrete or gravel. Take a look at Porcea Seashell for example, it’s a rustic Turkish-style stone that works amazing alongside our STONEarch Ivory Mix travertine copings.
5. Cleaning these materials is easy as well. All you have to do is wipe any spills right away before they have a chance to settle down and damp mop the surface once a week.
If your goal is aesthetics, keep the following tip in mind when deciding which STONEarch natural stone coping and step material and outdoor porcelain paver to mix and match:
1. STONEarch natural stone will serve as your neutral or accent colour. So when choosing the right outdoor porcelain, try to pick up a few colours that are either present in the stone or in the porcelain tile that are neutral and easy to match.
2. Scale is something you need to have fun with. When done the right way, mixing small-scale patterns with large ones can produce a harmonious balance.
3. Keep in mind that that less is always more. Your project can achieve a cohesive and luxurious space by limiting your color palette. More traditional designs will go for an accent border for example a light colour outdoor porcelain tile with a STONEarch Onyx Black granite as a coping and step tread. More modern designs will try to go for a neutral match with both options in a light cream or a light gray, just subtly picking up the colour undertones.
4. If your design project requires a bigger or bolder color palette the one rule you need to remember is that if your natural stones are busy or full of pattern, your porcelain pavers should be more clean and simple.
For more natural stone coping and step design ideas, do not hesitate to contact us. Our team of experts is more than happy to help turn your vision into reality.
Share this post
Be alerted to new posts
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.